(Translated by https://www.hiragana.jp/)
RNR picture | Encyclopedia Titanica Message Board

RNR picture

Hallo Kari -

Off hand, I'm afraid I can't think of any RNR uniform photos of Murdoch - at least none that have been published. I could be wrong, but none immediately come to mind.

I know there are photos of Smith, Wilde, Boxhall, Lowe, Lightoller and Pitman in their full dress uniforms, and of the latter four in their daily attire. I'm particularly fond of an informal photo of Boxhall taken on a torpedo boat during WWI - it gives a good idea of what they wore going about their daily duties. There's also a superb photo of Harold Lowe wearing his rating's uniform, before he received an officer's commission. But Murdoch photos are thin on the ground, unfortunately. Hopefully someone will be able to produce one, or I might recall one in a private collection.

Inger,

Thank you for that information. I had a feeling that the chances of a picture of Murdoch in his RNR uniform being out there was slim to none. But it never hurts to ask.

If you don't mind I would like to see those pictures of Smith, Wilde, Boxhall, Lowe, Lightoller, and Pitman. You can e-mail them to me. That would just be really wonderful. Thank you.

Best regards,
Kari

I'll dig out what I can, Kari - some are in private collections and have not yet been distributed. Do you have the Stenson biography of Lightoller? There are a few RNR shots of Lightoller in there.

The rating uniformed photo is in the Lowe family's private collection, Melly, but I'm hoping to publish it in time (with their permission, of course).

I have a vague recollection that it was used briefly in the HTV documentary about Harold Lowe.

Inger,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that and yes I do have the Stenson biography. I haven't looked at it for awhile. I nearly forgot that I even had it! Thank you once again for getting those pictures or whatever you can for me. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Kari

I believe the Wilde photo is available through the Corbis archives, Kari (although it's not viewable online...might be to members).

Melly, I'm afraid I don't know if the Lowe doco is available on DVD...I believe it was only shown in Wales (although it has been screened a few times, both in Welsh and English). I provided information to the documentary maker, and they were kind enough to send me a copy.

Inger,

Thank you for that information. I don't mean to sound rude,pushy,inconsiderate, or any other word that you can think of. I just don't know how to put this without sounding rude, sorry. What about those other pictures? Once again I don't mean to sound rude. So please forgive me for phrasing it that way.

Best regards,
Kari

Back