(Translated by https://www.hiragana.jp/)
Memories of the 1940's (1996-1998 archive): Re: rationing in WW2
The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20030618194917/http://youth.net:80/memories/hypermail/0189.html

Re: rationing in WW2

Horace A Basham (horace@hbasham.ak.planet.gen.nz)
Thu, 23 May 1996 21:52:50 -0400

My name is Horace A. Basham. Ex-RAF Aircraft Mechanic. At the start of the
war I lived in the east end of London, West Ham. Which was heavily
bombed.

In 1939 at the beginning of World War 2 Britain was put on strict
rationing. All imports would be in short supply, as were much of home
grown and manufactered commodities.  Everyone, man. woman and child, were
issued with a ration card and a National Registration card (an indentity
card).

The ration cards were presented to shopkeepers who cut the appropriate
number of coupons for the rationed item at the time of purchase. The number
of coupons cut was determined by the Ministry of Food. Sometimes more or
less were taken depending on the supply of any particular commodity. Fruit
and most veggies., unless they were grow yourself. Oranges and Bananas were
a very rare luxury. Items of food rationed included Meat, (including
bacon); milk and milk powder, the later was mainly for children and
invalids; eggs; clothing and footwear; Petrol and oil, these of course were
reserved for essential services. The ordinary person had none or very
litle. Not so many had cars anyway.

I can not give you an accurate account of the amounts allowed of each
item. It was little enough. For one person; one or two eggs a week; 2oz. of
butter per person. The wrapper of a pound pat of butter was printed in 2
oz. segments. It was easy to cut the allotted 2ozs. We had eight of us at
home at the beginning of the war so we would get a whole 1 lb. pat of
butter. Cheese was at 2 to 4 0zs. heavy workers got the larger amount.
Miners got other privileges also. I preferred to eat salted margarine than
butter, the rest of the familiy had my butter ration. And so that was the
pattern of things. What one did not eat others did and there was a
swapping too with friends and neighbors. In the main the M o F.  managed
rationing very well. People were not starved and the balanced diet
benifitted the whole population gaining in health. Except for Scotland the
beer was brewed weaker. Clothing and footwear were made to a standard. All
items conforming to a war time standard had a special brand mark. Much use
was made made of factory canteens or cafes near by the work place. Where
meals could be had without surrendering of precious food coupons.

As my brothers were called up to the army we had less. and of course when
I went into the RAF there was less still. But with two brothers and sister
with mum and dad there was no real hardship. dad had an allotment where
he grew much of our vegitables. Surpluses could be swapped.

That there was a black market can not be denied. I for one once used it on
one of my leaves. We were issued with ration coupons for use on leave.
But not enough clothing coupons to buy much. Not even a pair of shoes. I
went to Petticoat Lane street market in Aldgate London to see what I could
get. I approached one stallholder and he directed me to the back of his
shop. Here we struck a bargain. I bought from him the extra coupons
needed. I then left the shop. Handed the coupons and the purchase price of
the shoes to the same stallholder. I had a smart new pair of utility shoes
to wear with my uniform. Instead of heavy military boots. Why were
transactions carried out like this? because appearances had to be
maintained.

I hope my inadequate discription of rationing in WW2 satifies some of your
questions.